How to Prepare & What to Bring
Preparing yourself to work with Ayahuasca is important to get the most from your healing experience. We recommend that all participants get a medical checkup prior to working with Ayahuasca. Specifically we suggest a blood pressure check and ECG to screen for any heart function abnormalities. We recommend the following prior to a ceremony:
- Avoid recreational drugs including marijuana for at least 2 weeks prior commencing your ceremony.
- Avoid alcohol for a minimum of 48 hours prior to Ayahuasca Ceremony.
- Avoid sexual contact for a minimum of 48 hours prior to Ayahuasca Ceremony.
- Ensure you are well hydrated, with last drink taken a couple of hours before Ayahuasca ceremony.
It’s suggested that you avoid foods with MAOI inhibitors for at least 24 hours before drinking Ayahuasca this includes:, fermented or non-fresh foods, cheese, miso, tofu or other fermented soy products, dried fruits, tamari or soy sauce, sauerkraut, pickled foods, protein extracts, processed or smoked meat products, and yeast/brewer’s yeast. We also suggest that in the weeks before drinking Ayahuasca you prepare your body to receive the medicine, this includes avoiding too many fried foods, caffeine, spicy foods, dairy, pork and other sugars. Basically, fresh clean and natural foods with a high ratio of fresh vegetables and fruit is the best way to prepare
Many medications and natural supplements are not complimentary with this work and can be dangerous especially MAOI inhibiting medications, SSRIs and or antidepressants including St Johns Wort. To avoid any negative effects, please consult with your doctor before stopping any medications prior to drinking Ayahuasca, ideally at least one month before.
If you are a women coming for a ceremony while on your menses, please advise the Maestra apprentice before the session.
Most importantly, we ask that you bring a good attitude, being humble, respectful and open minded, prepared to surrender to this work as a process that reveals itself over time. Reflecting on your own personal intentions, questions or healing goals is also beneficial.
Suggested items to bring for ceremony
- Your deepest written intention (I email a document to assist in this)
- A couple of large Water Bottles with a top enough for 1 to 7 days, depending on your ceremony.
- A towel
- A bathing suit
- A ceremonial outfit (preferably whites, skirt or dress for women; pants for men).This is to wear in ceremony.
- Warm clothes, we will be outdoor and sleep in the tent (Only summer times).
- A pillow, a sheet and warm blanket and/or small pad/foam. (Sleeping bags are too noisy for ceremony but bring one to sleep in after the ceremony, extra blanket is handy too)
- A piece of foam about 2-3” thick and the width of a yoga mat. This to sit on it while journeying and to be used after to sleep on. **NO MATTRESS HAS IT TAKES TOO MUCH ROOM**.
- Yoga mat for exercise.
- Food – you can bring small snacks to share, however food is provided .
- Printed sheets of Icaros (Send via WeTransfer)
- Signed Consent Form along with signed Medical Form to hand out the day when you arrive.
- Pen, paper or booklet to write down your wisdom, thoughts or pertinent information
- Eye mask (very advisable), it will be quite dark but any lights, candles or lighters can sometimes take us out of the experience.
- A bowl, fork/spoon/knife, glass/cup (you will be responsible to clean your own dishes after meals)
- Ear plugs, after the ceremony when it’s time to sleep we might be sharing the space with people who snore.
- Flashlight (Red lens)
- A camping chair or small bench to sit on outside.
- Pipe (if you own one)
- Crystal/ Stone/ Objects (to be placed on altar- this will anchor the medicine for when you go back home)
- An instrument if you play one.
- Songs with lyrics that you enjoy and like
- A small tent to put your personal stuff and to sleep in after ceremony
DO NOT BRING ANY OF THESE
- Do not bring anything that has a smell
- No soap, no shampoo, no toothpaste, no perfume.
- You will be asked to surrender your cell phone and car keys when you arrive. Please advise loved ones that you will be unavailable for the duration of our retreat.